Quick Guide to BlackBerry
From Palm to BlackBerry
Syncing with Windows
BlackBerry doesn't provide a Personal Information Manager (PIM) application,
but can sync with the following PIM's:
- IBM® Lotus Notes® 6, 6.5, 7
- Microsoft® Outlook® 2002, 2003, 2007
- Microsoft® Outlook Express 6
- Microsoft® Windows Contacts
- Novell® GroupWise® 6.5, 7
- Yahoo!® Mail
- Time & Chaos can sync
with BlackBerry using CompanionLink
- Google online applications (Gmail, etc.)
- Install your favorite PIM
- Install BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and configure it to sync with your
- Sync up
From PalmDesktop to Outlook
Gave up, and ended up buying Chapura PocketCopy
From PalmDesktop through CompanionLink Express
Not recommended: Timeless appointments will show up in BlackBerry as full-day
- Install PalmDesktop, remove HotSync
- Install BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and sync the BlackBerry at least
once before proceeding
- Install CompanionLink Express
- Run CompanionLink Setup, followed by CompanionLink Synchronize
"Intellisync/There was a problem updating the synchronization settings.
Click 'Reset configuration' and try again."
BDM: "Synchronize organizer data" checked
"You need to configure your synchronization settings before synchronizing
"Available desktop applications": PalmDesktop isn't listed (just
ASCII and Yahoo)
- To disable the "RSS Common Feed List" prompt, Tools > Options
> Other tab > Advanced Options: Uncheck "Sync RSS feeds to the
Common Feed List"
- To remove duplicates in Contacts,
From Thunderbird/Lightning through Gmail
"I use Thunderbird for my email. Added Lightning
0.9 to it for calendar. Added Provider
for Google Calendar 0.5.1 to sync with Google Calendar. Added Zindus 0.8.5
to sync with Google Contacts. Put Google Sync 0.5.13 on my Blackberry which
syncs contacts and calendar." (source)
Must have add-on's
- Opera Browser
- Google stuff (Sync, Gmail, Voice)
Download pictures from BlackBerry to PC?
When connecting the USB cable, answer Yes when prompted to activate the mass
storage. The BlackBerry will not appear as an external drive.
Agendus for BlackBerry? Add-on to Outlook?
How to type accents?
Validate wifi connection with ISP through web page?
Clear call logs
Increase number of rings before voice mail?
Can't hear in crowded surroundings even with volume at maximum
Stuff in BlackBerry not synced with Outlook
In Desktop Manager > Synchronize > Synchronize, check "Synchronize
organizer data", and click on Synchronize
Lowering volume of phone ring?
Having the Clock always show the time?
... at least in a battery-saving dimmed but still readable way, so as to
keep track of time during a meeting?
How to replace items from standard icon bar?
Replace Messages, Browser and Media with SMS, MemoPad, and Tasks?
Can reassigne left/right buttons from vocal dialing/camera to any application
Assign key to voice mail
Carrier-specific (BouyguesTelecom = keep 1 pressed)
How to have all sections checked for search?
Tired of having to check 'em every time
How to set My number?
Outlook : how to set tasks for day or floating tasks?
How to delete all items from the call log in one go?
It's a bit complicated:
- Phone icon > Options > Call Logging: All Calls
- Go the Messages application (icon = letter)
- View folder Phone Call Logs
- Select top-most item
- Delete Prior
How to increase the ring number before moving to voice mail?
**61*Number of voice mail server**Number of seconds#Hit validate key
- Belt clip holster
- "wrist strap" version of the OEM Holster