EMWAC IMS mail server and web server
This is a free, although no longer supported, SMTP and POP mail server for NT. As
of July 2001, the EMWAC server doesn't answer. Please check the Resources section
I also added a section of EMWAC's small HTTP server, which only supports
HTTP 1.0 and is no longer in development in its free version.
- Download ZIP file
- Unzip ims.cpl, imscmn.dll, POP3S.exe, smtpds.exe, SMTPRS.exe to C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
- Open Control Panel, and check that the icon EMWAC IMS is displayed
- In TCP/IP properties, make sure the domain name is set (IMS needs this to build fully-qualified domain names)
- Open a DOS box, and run SMTPDS -IPADDRESS to check that IMS can use your IP address and FQDN
- Run SMTPRS -INSTALL, SMTPDS -INSTALL, POP3S -INSTALL to install those three services
- Configure IMS by double-clicking its icon in Control Panel
- Directories tab: Mailbox directory = D:\EMWAC\INBOX\%USERNAME% Mail Spool Directory = D:\EMWAC\MAIL
- Misc tab Accept mail for: acme.com mail.acme.com
- Open Control Panel | Services, and start each service. Open a DOS box, and run netstat -an to check that ports 25 (SMTP) and 110 (POP3) are running
- Create a local NT user group (if IMS is running on an NT Server, do NOT create a Global group) called eg. IMSUsers, and create all e-mail user accounts.
- Open Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | User Manager, followed by Policies | User Rights : In the User Rights Policy dialog, check Show Advanced User Rights, choose Log on as a batch job in the drop-down box, click on Add..., and choose the IMSUsers group.
- Pick up the right binary for your host (Intel, Alpha, MIPS) from any
- Unzip the file
- Copy HTTPS.EXE, HTTPS.CPL, and HTTPS.HLP into \WINNT\SYSTEM32
- Open a DOS box, cd to \WINNT\SYSTEM32, and run "https -install"
- Open Control Panel, and double-click on the "HTTPS Server"
icon in Control Panel
- Data directory is the root document direct, ie. where the HTTP tree
- Permit Directory Browsing tells HTTPS whether to list all files
in a directory if no index.html or index.htm or default.htm file is
present, or just return an error (for security reasons, the latter is
- In Control Panel, open either Services (NT4) or Administrative Tools
| Services, double-click on the EMWAC HTTP Server item, and start the service
- To remove the HTTPS Service, open a DOS box, and type "https -remove".
Next, go to C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32, and delete HTTPS.EXE, HTTPS.CPL, and HTTPS.HLP.
Finally, remove the directory where you told Emwac to find HTML files
- IMS Mail Server
- HTTP Server for Windows NT