Fax applications for Windows
Some applications won't work with Windows 2003 Server because,
by default, it won't allow installing kernel-mode driver, hence errors
when creating fax printer drivers. This can be changed, temporarily or
permanently by following these
In this day and age, there aren't many fax apps left. Most are
either network-based (corporate stuff), Internet based (like VoIP,
requires subscribing to a service), or... deadware.
- Runs on 2003
- Nice and simple interface
- Hangs up correctly
- Doesn't crash
- Sends e-mail notification
- Can upload received faxes, either as attachments to e-mails
or to FTP/HTTP server
- Double-clicking on received faxes opens them (Mightyfax =
shows communication information such as date etc.)
Located as a fax application in the Printer section. It's very
basic, but it might be good enough. Make sure the modem is set to
handle incoming and/or outgoing faxes. (CHECK) It might be necessary to
launch the client application at boot time.
Just the fax
More basic version of Mighty Fax
- "MightyFax will not install or run on "server" operating
systems (i.e. Windows 2003 Server)". Did manage to get it to install
and work, though.
SmartFax 2004 Pro
More basic version
PhoneWorks 2004 Pro
Simply Messenger Pro
- "Simply Messenger PRO (formerly Simply BitWare, Simply
BitFax, and BitWare) is offered in a new version now supporting the
2Point Internet Faxing Service and the latest Windows operating systems
including Windows XP and 2003. The software is a
Windows based solution that allows users to integrate your voice
messaging and faxing to an individual PC. This new
version now supports multiple operating systems including Windows 98,
ME, 2000/2003 and XP plus supports many off the shelf analog
28.8, 56k and v.90 modems. The Internet Faxing Service
supports broadband connections for (DSL and Cable) modems."
- Download (70MB!) the
file to a directory on your hard drive, for example : \BW82\.
Proceed to Step 3
- or... skip Step 1 and instead select to 'open' or
'run' the file directly from the download and then proceed to step 4.
- Execute the downloaded file. Be sure that the
user account you are logged in has appropriate security rights.
- When prompted, use the key code sent to the e-mail address
provided by you to install your evaluation.
HotFax MessageCenter 6.0
FaxCenter Pro 6.0
Messenger Pro 6.0
Adds support for answering machine
Failed at start up with "FTMSGR32.EXE/Retried Class ID from
- Deadware. Works with W2003?
- See "Simply Messenger Pro (ex-Bitware)"
Red Rock FaxNow!
Symantec/Norton Delrina Fax Pro
- Deadware; Won't work with 2003
- More info here
TalkWorks PRO 3.0