Recording software demos
TechSmith Camtasia Studio
- Outputs files in Macromedia Flash (.flv and .swf), Windows Media (.wmv),
Apple QuickTime (.mov), RealNetworks RealMedia (.rm), AVI, Executable (EXE),
and Animated GIF
- Easy to use, complete
Camtasia Studio consists in multiple applications: Recorder (to record a
demo), Audio Editor (to add a voice-over), Menu Maker (??), Player (a dependency-free
AVI player), and Theater (??). All those applications can be reached either
directly, or through the Studio interface.
Release 2.0.3 only runs on XP/W2K, and requires DirectX 8 and above.
- When outputing to a Flash file, can I combine the two SWF and the XML
file into a single SWF that is referenced by the HTML file?
- When creating AVI files, by default, uses its own codec. When distributing
this file, provide either this codec (how to install?) or the stand-alone
Camtasia Player that contains a viewer + codec
a software demo with Impress by Dmitri Popov
double T's Demo Builder
Recommended by Soft
As It Gets: "I've spent quite a bit of time recently researching and
evaluating programs to record software demo's [...]. When I was close to giving
up I found Demo Builder (DB) and was impressed from the very start."
Didn't find how to...
- Add a voice-over after recording a demo
- Add to display the Time Line
- How to modify a movie, by re-recording part of the demo: A work-around
I did is to record a new movie, and copy/paste the new frames in the first
movie, before deleting old frames, but that leaves the new movie in the
tree on the left (Delete is not available)
Neat, open-source softare. More information here.
- Generates Flash
- ViewletBuilder takes screen shots. ViewletCam does a full
recording. They both output Flash
- ViewletPresenter is a PowerPoint to Flash converter
- ViewletSuite is a suite which include ViewletBuilder, ViewletCam,
- ViewletFarm is a server-based application that provides centralized
storage, organization, management and deployment of your valuable Viewlet
- ViewletPoll is the fastest and easiest way to create
and distribute dynamic polls.
- Open-source solution to create Flash animations ("FreeMovie is
a library for generating and parsing Macromedia Flash(tm) SWF files. It
is an alternative to the official Macromedia Flash(tm) (SWF) file format
NetPlay Instant Demo
Acquired by Macromedia?
RIP. No longer under development. While the player is available for W2K,
the recorder is not. Too bad because it was a nice app. Trialware available
here. Generates files
that must be played with a proprietary player, not through a plug-in in a browser